Tuesday 21 April 2009

LAST DAY IN THE UK - Phil

Cripes, that went quickly.

Here I am, with about 18 hours to go til the flight. I have just about squeezed all the essentials into my rucksack and suitcase, but am still fearful that I have packed WAAAY too much stuff. Ho-hum.
Have been with the folks in Essex for about 10 days now, joining Meg and the cats, who have both been very comfortable. We descended on my folks with about a hundred times the amount of stuff that they were expecting, and we have consequently filled about half the attic with our boxes of things that we can't seem to let go of.

We cannot wait til we are actually on the plane and can chill out. Leaving the UK for even just a short amount of time has proved to be quite a challenge, informing all the necessary banks/insurance people, etc. I rang Student Loans today to let them know that I will be out of the country (and unemployed) for the foreseeable future, and they were aghast that I was leaving tomorrow and hadn't informed them earlier, '....But you are supposed to fill out one of our forms! You can't go until you have filled out a form!'.

So despite the Student Loans insistence, I am still going to New Zealand tomorrow. The form will have to wait. Phil 1, Student Loans 0.

Leaving work was a bit odd - on the last day I gave our house keys back to the landlord, and then the car keys were handed in at work, as well as the phone, and also the laptop. I felt a bit odd without those things that I had depended on for the last couple of years. Anyway, it now feels a bit liberating, and I have been phone-less for 10 days and I feel pretty smug about it.
We have still dished out for a new TINY laptop to take away with us, which is what I'm writing on now. We've also got a cool new Canon G10 to take lots of incredibly arty landscape photos on. I am hoping that we will have some money left to spend when we get to NZ.

While I've been at home, we've had a chance to catch up with all (well, most of) our friends in london and been treated to a visit from Tanya and Luke. We went to the Greenest of Men for an evening of pie, wine and cheese.
Meg spent a few days with the Augurs in London, and they also came out to Wicky Bicky (and bought me the T-shirt to prove it) to see the Kerrs. Meg also spent an evening with her uni girls in Haverhill, in which they painted the town an amusing shade of lilac pink.

Here is a picture of us all in Wicky B.




The final thing to do is to make sure we have some reading material and music to listen to on the plane for the 25 hours we'll be in the air. I have conveniently gone and wiped all the contacts from my iPod (that was the only place I had all my contact numbers as I had returned my phone back to work). Therefore if you are reading this, could you please send me your phone number? Thank you in advance.

Next time you read this, we will be a LONG way away, and will hopefully have some more pictures to prove it

No comments:

Post a Comment